SOHO Router, wired & wireless devices
- Small Office Home Office or Residential/Home Router, a.k.a Residential or Home Router.
- Simple “Network address translation (NAT)” device with facilities such as an Unmanaged Network Switch + Access Point + DSL Modem + SIM Ports + USB Ports…
- Simple & easy to Use, requires almost no technical experience.
- Usually administered through a web interface.
- Widely used in Home & Small Office Networks mostly for sharing Internet Connectivity.
- Wired networks can be extended by using a Network switch or a SOHO Router (as long as SOHO Router has sufficient network connectivity ports).
- Wireless networks can be extended using a range extender (some models of access points & Wi-Fi Routers may have the option to work as a range extender).
SOHO Routers Worksheet
Connectivity (DSL / Cable / 4G / All)
# Of WAN Ports
No. of Ports (UTP/STP)
No. of Ports (Optical)
USB Version (1.x/2.x/3.x)
Firewall (Available / Not Available)
Can be used as Wireless Extender? (Yes / No)
Wireless Security Support
- Virtual Private Network refers to private networks across public network.
- A special virtual “Tunnel” created between end-points.
- Typically used for connecting to office networks from remote locations, over Internet.
- Require VPN Software or Hardware at both ends.
- Uses Protocols like PPTP & L2TP.
- VPN’s are created over technologies such as Dial-ups, DSL, leased lines, etc.
Example: Allows users to connect to a B) office networks from A) home network through the Internet
1. Which of the following WAN technology is the slowest?
A. ISDN B. Dial-Up C. DSL D. Cable
2. Which of the following connectivity utilizes a 56K modem?
A. ISDN B. PSTN C. DSL D. Both B & C
3. Protocols used in dial-up networking:
A. PPP B. SLIP C. PPPoE D. PPPoA
4. Advantages of PPP over SLIP.
A. Support for Dynamic IP address
B. Support for protocols other than TCP/IP
C. Support for services such as Windows Firewall
D. Support for Layer 1
5. Acronym – ISDN.
A. Internet Services for Digital Network
B. Intranet Services for Digital Network
C. Integrated Services for Digital Network
D. Integrated Services for DSL Network
6. Acronym – DSLAM.
A. Direct subscriber line access multiplexer
B. Direct subscriber line access multiplier
C. Digital subscriber line access multiplexer
D. Digital subscriber line access multiplier
7. Device used for splitting voice and data at a customer’s premises in a DSL connection:
A. SOHO Router B. Wi-Fi Router C. DSL Modem D. DSL Splitter
8. DSL uses _____ protocols.
A. PPP B. SLIP C. PPPoE D. Ethernet
9. Acronym – PPPoE.
A. Packet-to-Packet Protocol Over Ethernet B. Point-to-Point Packet Over Ethernet
C. Point-to-Point Protocol Over Ethernet D. Point-to-Packet Protocol Over Ethernet
10. Acronym – PPPoA.
A. Packet-to-Packet Protocol Over ATA B. Point-to-Point Packet Over ATM
C. Point-to-Point Protocol Over ATM D. Point-to-Packet Protocol Over ATA
11. _____ refers to private network over the Internet.
A. WLAN B. DSL C. WiMAX D. VPN
12. Acronym – VPN.
A. Virtual Public Network B. Virtual Private Network
C. Vertical Private Network D. Vertical Public Network
13. Protocols used in VPN:
A. PPP B. PPTP C. L2TP D. SLIP
14. Acronym – PPTP.
A. Private to Public Tunneling Protocol B. Point to Point Teredo Protocol
C. Point to Point Tunneling Protocol D. Private to Public Tunneling Protocol
15. Acronym – L2TP.
A. Level 2 Teredo Protocol B. Level 2 Tunneling Protocol
C. Layer 2 Teredo Protocol D. Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol
16. Encryption used in L2TP:
A. AED B. IP C. IPSec D. 3DES
17. _____ controls incoming & outgoing traffic.
A. DSL B. Anti-Virus Software C. Firewall D. WAP
18. Acronym – NAT.
A. Network Application Translation B. Network Address Translation
C. Nano Address Translation D. Network Application Technology